"Imagine a city where graffiti wasn't illegal, a city where everybody drew whatever they liked. Where every street was awash with a million colours and little phrases. Where standing at a bus stop was never boring. A city that felt like a party where everyone was invited, not just the estate agents and barons of big business. Imagine a city like that and stop leaning against the wall - it's wet. “ - Banksy


it was bloody cold.

Friday, November 19, 2010

"A man's library is a sort of harem." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Conduct of Life, 1860


"To those with ears to hear, libraries are really very noisy places. On their shelves we hear the captured voices of the centuries-old conversation that makes up our civilization." - Timothy Healy

Wellington City Library used to be like a second home to me. I visited every weekend, walking away with vast amounts of books, certainly more than I could read in the next three weeks. I had my special kiddy card with a rocket ship on it that held a record of every single book I had ever issued and read and revelled in. My arms would ache as I dragged armloads of fantasy and thrills to heave into the car. I've always been insanely susceptible to motion sickness but I'd force my stomach to endure it, for the sake of Harry Potter, Molly Moon, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Falling Leaves. I would read for days on end.
I don't know what happened, but one way or another I stopped hanging out at this haven. To be perfectly honest with you, I actually almost forgot it existed for a couple of years. The rest of my family would still go all the time but I never particularly wanted to. It's flippin' nuts!
Anyho, about five days ago I decided it was probably a good idea to start studying for exams as I'd already had three of them and chemistry was in a few days. My house is always loud and ruckus and vibrant and filled with yelling screeching yodeling dancing shooting kung-fu-ing 6 year olds and 11 year olds and 13 year olds and 47 year olds, and trying to study there is like trying to get rid of Russell Brands sex addiction - possible, but really, why bother? Russell Brand is not the same without his deviant ways, and the study you remember pretty much just consists of the first page, and how to successfully drag three hyperactive small people out of your room in one go.
So I went to the library.
I found myself a nice little closed off desk, surrounded by other motivating fellow studyers and began. I got through half of Structure and Bonding when some dodgy Indonesian guys started talking to me and asking me where I live and go to school and how old I am etcetc and moving their chairs closer. It was not cool. So I went upstairs to find somewhere else to study. And it was like a whole new world! The only other time in my life I'd been up there was when I got lost and was searching for mum about 9 years ago. There was an entire level dedicated to art and architecture and magazines and CDs! And above that a quiet study floor filled with law and history - I was gobsmacked and completely pissed off with myself for not realising this earlier. I found a fantastic place to study, next to some guy meditating, and stayed til 8pm.
Wellington City Library is basically one of the most amazing places in the CBD, so embrace your inner nerd and come visit me at my second home.

No comments:

Post a Comment